Home | Sitemap | Translate
E-Notification and Newsletter Archive
Want to receive E-Notifications from the City of Hedwig Village? Click Here to Sign Up!
NOTIFICATION: STORM HARVEY
The City of Hedwig Village, in conjunction with the Village Fire Department as the Villages’ Emergency Management Coordinator, is closely monitoring the development of Tropical Storm Harvey and has begun preparations to ensure that we are equipped to respond to whatever severe weather may occur over the next few days. There is significant uncertainty concerning what to expect, so please pay close attention to the changing conditions of Tropical Storm Harvey.
As Tropical Storm Harvey nears our area, we all need to take steps to be ready for the effects of this major storm. We should prepare for heavy rainfall and moderate wind. The City will continue inspecting and clearing debris from storm drain inlets and drainage ditches along the major thoroughfares. We ask that you take a look at the inlets and drainage ditches on the side streets and near your home to remove any leaves or debris that could restrict storm water from entering the inlets or flowing through the drainage ditches.
So what can you do to prepare? Here are some tips:
- Please do not park on the street if at all possible. Debris can get caught under cars and could impact emergency services response times.
- You may want to lower the level of the water in your pool so that there is available room for heavy amounts of rain. Amounts up to 12” of rain have been predicted for our area. It is not recommended that you drain your pool completely as pools have been known to rise out of the ground when the soil is saturated. But lowering the level by 12 inches or less is generally safe.
- As with any storm, have batteries and emergency lighting. The City does not manage or control the electrical service in our area. A great website to have is the CenterPoint Energy Electric Outage Center http://www.centerpointenergy.com/en-us/residential/services/electric-utility/outage-center?sa=ho. This website will provide you with information about known outages and expected restoration times. You can also sign up to receive automatic alerts on your phone at this site. Calling the City or our emergency services will not expedite the restoration of any electrical service.
- Secure outdoor furniture and any other items that could become airborne should wind gusts hit the area. Please instruct your lawn care companies not to leave bags of lawn debris out during the storm as we have had previous issues with these bags floating and blocking inlets and ditches. Turn off your sprinkler system.
- Keep in mind that typical household items, yard decorations, garbage bags or carts can block drainage systems during heavy rain events. Please bring in and secure items that are outside of your home so those items don’t create drainage problems for your neighbors.
- If you have a pre-existing medical condition that you want to be sure the City’s emergency services are aware of in case this becomes an extended weather incident, please contact the non-emergency phone for the Police Department at 713-461-4797 and your information will be put on file.
- In the event that you see trees or tree limbs down across streets that would impede access by emergency vehicles, please call 911.
- If the streets become submerged, STAY HOME and off the roads as much as possible. Stay up-to-date on conditions through our local media and the City’s website at www.hedwigtx.com.
Thank You and Be Safe!!
Storm Harvey Updates
Hedwig Village trash will be collected on Friday Sept 1.
I have just heard from our provider: Trash will be collected tomorrow. Only household trash will be collected, NO DEBRIS. This means all your bags that have been piling up by our backdoor will be gone, but they won’t take any limbs yet.
Collectors will be coming to the backdoor. If you would like to help them out a little bit, you may elect to move household trash to the curbside, but this is by no means a requirement for collection.
PS: For further questions or concerns, please call City Hall at 713-465-6009.
City of Hedwig Village
Located in the Memorial Villages
955 Piney Point Rd. Hedwig Village, TX 77024
Office Hours: 7:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Mon-Thurs.
Friday 7:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
PHONE: (713) 465-6009
Copyright © 2016. Hedwig Village, TX
powered by ezTaskTitanium TM